On premise virtual machine for Azure Automation DSC
Here at PowerONPlatforms, we decided to have a play with Azure Automation on the Microsoft Azure Portal. One of the cool features is the ability to have an on-premise virtual machine as a DSC node.
The following steps go through how to create a DSC node from your on-premise environment as a resource for your Accounts.
09 Oct 2015
For this example you’ll need to allow your desired DSC node outbound access to the internet.
Download and install latest version of WMF 5.0 (09/10/2015)
Adding the On-Prem VMs
Microsoft kindly provide us with all the instructions on the Portal. For this example I have one node I’m adding and running everything on this machine.
1. Run Microsoft Azure PowerShell as Administrator.
2. Connect to the Azure Resource Manager.
Add-AzureAccount Switch-AzureMode AzureResourceManager
3. Download the DSC metaconfiguration for the machine you want to onboard and for the Automation Account to wish to add.
Get-AzureAutomationDscOnboardingMetaconfig -ResourceGroupName -AutomationAccountName -ComputerName PONSMA01 -OutputFolder C:Users%username%Desktop
4. Apply the metaconfiguration to the machine.
Set-DscLocalConfigurationManager -Path C:Users%username%DesktopDscMetaConfigs -ComputerName
5. Go to portal.azure.com and verify your node is available the your good to go!
Originally posted by Rafael Delgado on SysCtr.info
If you are looking for managed IT support and think you could benefit from PowerON’s consultancy services and solutions, please get in touch on +44800 302 9280.
Keep Up To Date – Join the Mailing List
The team are here to help
If there are any questions and want to learn more about PowerON’s services or Solutions, please get in touch and a member of the team will be in touch shortly.
- PowerON, Stanley Harrison House, York, YO23 1DE
- 0800 3029280